In this Garrett ACE 400 review, we’ll step you through the key features of this metal detector that’s aimed at the more experienced treasure hunter, but it’s equally suitable for novice and less experienced fossickers.
About the Garrett ACE 400 metal detector
Designed for the intermediate metal detector, the Garrett Ace 400 metal detector kit includes:
- a search coil
- ACE environmental cover up to protect the control box from the elements
- search coil cover to protect the coil from bumps and scratches
- easy-stow headphones with volume control.
It’s a good unit for beginners through to intermediate fossickers.
The ACE 400i metal detector is the same as the ACE 400 – the ‘i’ stands for ‘international’ and is sold outside the US. We bet when you use this metal detector you’ll find yourself digging more treasure and less trash!
We’ve come to expect good things from the Garrett brand. The ACE 400 doesn’t disappoint. What we love about it is that it comes with:
- five search modes
- coin depth indicator
- digital target ID
- a higher frequency allowing you to better target gold
- you can break it down for easy transport.
The main difference between the ACE 400 and the AT Pro is that the ACE 400’s search cool is waterproof whereas the whole AT Pro unit submergible. The ACE 400 is suited to freshwater (not saltwater). If you’re into beach fossicking, on dry sand, we recommend putting it in jewelry mode, prefer jewelry mode with the sensitivity about 1-2 bars below maximum.
Key features of the Garrett ACE 400 metal detector
Each kit comes with:
- Iron Audio: this allows you to hear discriminated iron targets and to alter the mid-tone signal range.
- Digital Target ID: 0 to 99 scale offers target information so you know what you’ll be digging
- Higher frequency (10 kHz) provides better sensitivity on low and medium-conductivity targets such as gold and lead.
- Adjustable Frequency to help eliminate interference and make it easier to identify your target
- Camlocks for better stem stability
- Pulse-Width Modulation audio: sharper, more responsive audio
- 8.5″ x 11″ PROformance™ submersible DD searchcoil: Offers excellent coverage and depth
- Enhanced Iron Resolution: twice the iron resolution of the ACE 250, to help separate good targets from nearby junk iron.
- Electronic Pinpointing: Locates targets precisely for a speedier recovery.
- Notch Discrimination: Modify discrimination patterns based on what you’re targeting.
- Five Search Modes (plus Pinpoint)
- Eight Sensitivity/Depth adjustments.
- Coin Depth Indicator to determine the depth of your target.
- Expanded Target ID legend: includes indication of US coin denominations.
What the Garrett ACE 400 is best for
We highly recommend the Garrett ace 400 metal detector for beginner to intermediate prospectors who are:
- coin hunting
- jewelry hunting
- gold prospecting
- relic hunting
- doing competition events
- dry beach hunting
- fresh water hunting.
We also recommend it for relic hunting, jewelry hunting, ghost town hunting, and general prospecting.
How the Garrett ACE 400 metal detector works
Check out this excellent instructional video from Garrett about the ACE 400
Garrett ACE 400 specifications
For those of you with a bit more metal detecting experience, here are the product’s specs.
|Digital Target ID||YES, 0-99 scale|
|Iron Audio feature||YES|
|Target ID Cursor Segments||12|
|Iron Discrimination Segments||4|
|Search Modes||5 (plus Pinpoint)|
|Audio Tone ID Levels||3|
|Standard Searchcoil||8.5″ x 11″ DD PROformance™|
|Length (Adjustable)||40″ to 53″ (1.016 m – 1.3462 m)|
|Total Weight||2.9 lbs. (1.32 kgs.)|
|Batteries||4 AA (included)|
|Warranty||2 Year, Limited Parts/Labor|
Garrett ACE 400 shipping information
Here are the things you need to know about its size and weight if you want to get one shipped:
- Product dimensions: 51″ high x 11″ long x 8.5″wide
- Item weight: 5.8 pounds
- Shipping weight: 5.8 pounds
The Garrett ACE 400 warranty
Garrett metal detectors are protected under a limited parts and labor warranty for two years from the date of purchase. You can read more about the warranty on the Garrett website.Click to check the Garrett ACE 300 metal detector price
Last modified: October 2, 2019